Monday, March 8, 2010

RR5 (Teacher Quality: Conversation on Quality)

The article on teacher quality sparked my interest because of the poor record in education throughout the California School System. What does it take to be a quality teacher and where do I stand and what do I to become a quality teacher?
The article was an interview with Gloria-Ladson Billings, a leader concerning education of Afro-American children. She wrote the book, The Dream Makers. In the book she asked the communities to identify good teachers and defined quality teaching. It is where you graduated from? Is it the curriculum and classes you studied? Subject area you mastered? It isn’t so, according to Gloria. Quality teaching doesn’t happen in a day. It takes time to develop. Each setting is different. Some teachers are lucky to have a pulse.
You have to understand kids, understand the community you work in, and understand concept. Teach in La Jolla and go to East San Diego and see if you make it. Settings are a factor in teaching. The good ones are not graded on their test scores, the good ones are the ones “that their students come out able to solve problems, able to make decisions, able to critically analyze their environments. If that's not happening I really don't care what your certificate says.” (Billings, “Rethinking Schools” Winter 2005 2006). Teachers get paid for results, but not the results on the standardized tests.
This information is important now as I set my goals on becoming a quality teacher. I need to know where I’m going. The activities and beliefs I undertake are what are going to make me a quality teacher.

1 comment:

  1. I like how this article seems to describe the fact that good teachers teach their students to think critically and not just prepare them for a multiple- choice test that does not really mean anything in the long run anyway. I am also interested in this article Joe, and will read it. Plus, I really like your reasoning for choosing it.

    ReplyDelete